Friday, May 30, 2014

Continuing Science Education

Chapter 8 in Ready, Set, Science reiterates most of what the book has been trying to get across to us in this class. In order for us to be successful science educators, we must continue to build on this knowledge. I now this was mentioned at the beginning of class, but one thing we could all do is join the NSTA (while it is cheap). One of the reasons it would be great to join this organization is because the national convention is actually scheduled to be held in Nashville in 2016. How neat that we could interact with 1000s of other science teachers right in our backyard.

I also plan to continue to learn more about science. I now find myself questioning the things we see everyday. I think sometimes we think of science as complex information in a boring book, but I learned more about science from reading 25 basic children's books than from any scholarly article. Science can be fun for everyone regardless of your age.

I hope to tie what I learned in this class to my other classes as well. If we stay up-to-date on what is happening in the science world, it will be easier to draw connections to literature, math, or social students. The lessons we learned in Teaching Science are applicable to every class we will ever encounter. Children need discussion, they need a hands-on approach, and they need a loving teacher to guide them.

No comments:

Post a Comment