Thursday, May 22, 2014

No time for Science

I was talking to one of my friends who teaches in Metro the other day and she had a few words that contradict what we are trying to get across in this class. She didn't understand why I was having to talk a full class on science, in her words there is barely any time at all for science or social students in the classroom. She said you are lucky if you can just tie it into reading or math. Keep in mind she is just one year outside of school and she has already reverted back to what we are taught exactly not to do. It is funny how outside pressure can make you change so quickly what you believe is best for your classroom.

This is the problem in America. We have put so much emphasis on reading and math that teachers feel pressured to focus on these two subjects. I agree, there is a short amount of time in the classroom, but science and social studies need to be at the forefront. In every single reading or math lesson that you plan, you can find a way to tie in science to the lesson. Science can be tied in in a way that does not make it secondary to math or english.

I suggested to my friend that she spend part of the summer lesson planning new ways to tie in science. Regardless of what any administration thinks, science and social studies are just as important. There is time, you can find time in the classroom.

Even in an ESL class, you can find information on how to bring science into the classroom. Science actually puts ESL kids on an even playing field with other students because science is universal. The moon is the same regardless of where you are located. Science allows students on all levels to explore together.

5 comments:

  1. Wow...I sincerely hope we will all make a way to heavily include science and social studies! Reading and math are super important, but so are science and social studies!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great point about ESL students! so very true!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree about the ESL students! I've taught science in an ESL room (all the kids were ELLs -- they were all refugees from other countries), and all of the kids lit up and were asking questions and discussing with each other, even if it was in their native languages. It was great! And we can always make room for science. Like you said, we can just fit it in with Language and Math.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree with all of you. We must do a better job in our education system of making science important. If not, I am afraid we will be completely dependent on China one day.

    ReplyDelete
  5. When I subbed this spring, it bothered me that every day had up to three sessions of math and reading, but no time dedicated to social studies and science. I don't understand that thinking but am determined to bring in those subjects as much as possible.

    ReplyDelete